The word “feng shui” literally translates as “wind water” in English. It is based on the idea that the physical environment shapes our lives through the flow of energy or qi (chi). Feng Shui can be used for finding good luck, avoiding bad luck, or for steering an existing piece of good fortune towards you.
Feng shui has a number of practical applications such as laying out and designing buildings and homes, designing gardens, arranging furniture layout within a room, etc.
What is Feng Shui?
The ancient Chinese believed that there are invisible, life-giving energies that flow through our homes and offices in straight lines from the earth up to heaven. These energy flows also originate from heaven down to earth. When these flows of “chi” or energy are blocked in our homes, it leads to bad luck, sickness and misfortunes. In order for us to ward off these negative energies we have to create “shui” or a flow of energy that moves freely from the earth and up towards heaven. This is where all Feng Shui principles are derived- by creating good ‘Shui’ or energy flow that circulates freely around us.
How to create good Feng Shui Homes and Offices
In order for the good ‘Shui’ or energy to flow, the following must be achieved:
- Avoid the presence of dead angles and sharp edges in your living space, because these are seen as bad energies that will stagnate the flow of energy around you.
- The most common bad energy in homes is water. It symbolizes misfortune and negative energy so avoid collecting water elements like ponds or live aquariums inside your home.
- Use colors to your advantage. Your living space should be painted in calming and soothing colors like white, yellow, green, and blue and not bold or bright ones such as black, red, pink, etc. These loud colors symbolize danger and negative energy while the calm ones bring peace of mind.
- Live plants are good Feng Shui as they encourage the flow of energy. These can be placed in your living room or at door entrances etc.
- Avoid placing any type of caged animals and birds inside your home, especially those that appear restless like snakes, owls, and cockatoos, etc. They attract negative energy.
How Feng Shui can improve the quality of your life and help you become a better person
There are many ways that Feng Shui can improve the quality of your life. By following these simple instructions below you can create a home that brings good fortune and harmony to your life.
- Improve your health by being able to ward off negative energies.
- Increase in good luck and fortune and general happiness of those living in the space.
- Increase in creativity, ease of expression, and problem-solving abilities especially among children and teenagers in the household.
- Increase in productivity as well as creativity among adults working on projects or studies at home. The work environment becomes more relaxed, focused, and invigorating without the constant buzzing of distractions from the outside world
- Reduce tension levels, anger, anxiety, insecurity, and self-consciousness among other issues that are related to a poor quality of life.
If you fail to achieve any of these four points, it will result in bad Feng Shui.